Every mom has a favourite quote and a special tone to scold or teach a
lesson to their recalcitrant kids. We might hate this momism as a kid
but we all so much miss them when we grow up. These harsh sounding and
yet so sweet advices from mothers is what makes our childhood so
special. These motherly sayings go a long way in building us strong and
making us a better person. Though we hate our moms for being so harsh in
their statements, ironically we all use the same momism that we received
from our mothers on our kids. Oh God, how much we appreciate our mothers
for coming up with such perfect one liners.
Here is list of most common and popular momisms. These motherly advise
transcends the borders of time, space, language and culture. For kids
are kids everywhere and Mom are always Mom...caring, concern, all
knowing and full of love.
- Money does not grow on trees.
- Don't make that face or it'll freeze in that position.
- If I talked to my mother like you talk to me....
- Always change your underwear; you never know when you'll have an
- Be careful or you'll put your eye out.
- What if everyone jumped off a cliff? Would you do it, too?
- You have enough dirt behind those ears to grow potatoes!
- Close that door! Were you born in a barn?
- If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
- Don't put that in your mouth; you don't know where it's been!
- Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.
- Don't eat those, they will stunt your growth.
- If you don't eat those, you will stunt your growth.
- What's meant to be, is meant to be. (Mom only used this when
something bad happened or when you experienced a disappointment.)
- It doesn't matter what you accomplish, I'll always be proud of
- I hope that when you grow up, you have kids "Just Like you"!
(Also known as the "Mother's Curse")
- Because I'm your mother that's why.
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times.
- Eat your vegetables, those children in China (Africa, Vietnam)
would be happy to have some broccoli to eat! (Contributed by Sheryl
- If you fall out of that tree and break you leg , don't come
running to me.
- "Cheer up, the worst is yet to come." Usually said in
advance of grounding.
- Someday your face is going to stick like that. (Contributed by
Karen G in AL)
- Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. (Contributed by Karen G in
- Yes, I *AM* the boss of you.
- (Contributed by Karen G in AL)
- Because I said so. (Contributed by Karen G in AL)
- Just wait till your father gets home. (Contributed by Sandra
- No dessert till you clean off your plate.
- (Contributed by Sandra Stofan)
- I brought you into this world and I can take you OUT !!
- (Mostly said after one of us 5 had done something really bad.
Contributed by Marcie in Indiana)
- I've got eyes in the back of my head, that's how
- Get that thing out of your mouth! (or nose)
- Just you wait until you have kids of your own - then you'll
- You tell that bully to cut it out or you'll tell the teacher...
- I slave for hours over a hot stove and this is the thanks I
- Honestly... You'd lose your head if it wasn't screwed on!
- Honestly, that cardigan looks great on you - the girls had
better watch out with you around!
- Bored! How can you be bored? I was never bored at your age.
- Who'll end up walking, bathing and feeding it...?